Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 7: Streamlining My Reading List

     Today's challenge is easy. I love to read, but don't always take the time to pursue books I want to read. I'm more likely to either come across one that seems interesting, or else I read something new by an author I already know and like. I spent quite a bit of time checking out books to read and I've come up with a few good ones. Here's my recommendations:

     Although I already have read these (finishing up the 3rd one in the next 2 days), I highly recommend them if you have ever thought about learning more about Minimalism. It looks different for everyone, based on your family size, values, relationships, space available, living quarters, square footage available, passions, etc. I generally wouldn't recommend books here that use some bad language, I believe if you can skip over the occasional bad language, you could get quite a bit of value from these. (And no, it's not just all over the place, it's mostly for real emphasis, about a PG-13 rating.) All 3 of these books are written by The Minimalists, Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus.




After reading these, I pursued a few other books. Some were on minimalism also to get other people's perspective. Some were Christian books, both fiction and non-fiction, and some were on other topics. Here's what's on my To Do reading list:

1. Waking Up to Who You Really Are by Ted Dekker
2.  The Happiness of Simple by Dan Erickson (free on Amazon Prime kindle version)
3.  Daily Wisdom for Women - it's a January 2015 devotional collection by Barbour Books
4.  Minimalism (A minimalist guide to eliminate clutter, clear the mind, and increase productivity) by      Paul Silverman
5.  47 Little Love Boosters by Marko Petkovic
6.  Capsule Wardrobe (When Less is the New Black) by Hannah Hannigan * This one I read in under
     an hour, it has a pink cover, so you don't confuse it with the others by that name
7.  The Scottish Fairy Book by Elizabeth Wilson Grierson (not sure I'll get to this one)
8.  Child in the Mist by Kathleen Morgan (Scottish fiction)
9.  To Live is Christ by Beth Moore
10. Praying God's Word by Beth Moore
11. Who Is the Holy Spirit by R.C. Sproul
12. The 7-Day Prayer Warrior Experience by Stormie Omartian
13. Discover Minimalism, a Minimalist Budget by Adrian Pepperdine

Now that I have the next dozen or so, I need to streamline and prioritize it.  Here's my top 5:

#1, because I love Ted Dekker and this isn't a fiction story like he usually does, it's about faith
#2, because that's where I'm at right now
#4, ditto
#12, because I know lots of people who are in need of serious prayer right now, you probably do to.
#13, although I've got a great handle on our finances, I'm always open to learning how to be better

So if you had a chance to read even just 1, 2 or 3 books over the next 6 months, what would you read? What are you interested in? What needs improving? What would you like to learn? What kind of fictional story would you like to get lost in? Would you do better with an audio book? 

Don't forget you can find some books for free or just 99 cents with Kindle, or Amazon Prime, or others out there. You can request your local library find the book (even if it's out of state) and they will get it for you as long as there's no waiting list. This is a great option since it's FREE. You also could subscribe to Audible or KindleUnlimited for a monthly fee to read many books at no extra cost and they usually run around $10 to $15 per month for the subscription - great for those who love to read. 

Enjoy finding your own reading list. Good luck.

No comments: