Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Living Simply: Let It Go

Today was the perfect chance to live out what I blog, speak, and teach. Today was the last day before my college Spring Break. I had 2 tests today, one in Statistics and one in a Psychology class. First, you should know that I've always been a little OCD, I am an over-achiever, and if I get a 97% or a 98% on a test, I want to know why. Today, I got a 90% and an 87%. Had this been last semester or even the beginning of this one (back in January), I might have panicked, especially getting a B. I have a perfect 4.0 GPA and if I maintain it, it means thousands of more money in scholarships, so there's something tangible to lose.

When I got my grades, I wasn't happy. In fact, I thought I really did do better on both. But I know what I teach and blog about - so it was time to live it out. I decided that a 90 is still an A, still a 4.0, so I let it go. Nothing changes the grade by me stressing over it. If I did, how would I focus enough to do well on the next test a little while later?

When I got the grade back that was a B, I was a bit surprised, but I knew the tests questions were worded very differently than they were in the lecture and on the worksheets. I talked to several classmates outside the class after we were done testing. They all had very similar issues with the test, and my friend in class reminded me that this teacher drops your lowest test grade anyway, so one test is no big deal if I study harder and do better next time.


This was the first time in my life that I didn't stress over the grades. I was truly able to just let it go. I didn't carry the anxiety into the next classes. I kept a great, happy, relaxed attitude all day. I've been like a whole new person. I seriously recommend this whole "living simply" attitude and outlook!

On one last note, when I got home I looked to see what the average was for the class, along with the highest/lowest grades in class. (It's anonymous, just the number is visible.) In Statistics, the average was a 62, the highest was a 96, so a 90 is really good. In the psychology class, the average was a 77, the highest was a 93, and I got an 87. That's pretty good too. The teacher already put an "x" next to that test with a note saying it'll be dropped, because he knows I usually get high 90s on his tests. All in all, not too bad. I also found out I got a 97.5% on my History quiz yesterday.

What does this mean for you? When things don't work out to perfection, take a deep breath, keep them in the proper perspective, don't panic, and just know it'll be okay. Have a great rest of the week.

No comments: