Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Saturday, September 7, 2019

My Grandmother Just Died.

We all have that day we dread when someone we love dies. Mine is today. My grandmother just died, surrounded by several family members holding her hand, peacefully, while I'm over 2600 miles away  - and I  have all these random thoughts:

I should've spent more time with her
Why didn't I take more pictures of us together.
Why am I now recalling every opportunity I had to be with her and didn't.
Did she think of me as often as I thought of her?
Did she know how much I loved her, even though miles kept us separated for years at a time?
What should I have said to her sooner?
I hope I know enough about her and her life to share those memories with others.
There were so many times I needed her and she was there.
I'm picturing how each family member is feeling, thinking, and doing at this moment.
It will be so different at family gatherings now.
Those closest are going to be devastated for a long time.
She will be missed so much by so many.
I'm thankful her family was surrounding her, filling the room, telling her they/we love her.
I'm glad she was comfortable and at peace in the end.
We had no idea she'd breathe on her own for so long, but it gave everyone that extra chance to say         they love her.
I have so many good memories with her.
I remember the time when ......
I can't believe this is happening.
Her signs of aging and struggles are over now and that makes me happy for her.
I feel guilty wanting selfishly for her to get through this - but she just isn't this time.
I feel sick.
What now?


No comments: