Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Friday, January 4, 2008

I love winter in Arizona

I spent a good 2 hours or more today talking on the phone with my best friend from my childhood/teen years and my little sister. Both live in Massachusetts, where I was born and raised. The greater Boston area got over 44 inches of snow in just the month of December!!! They're both pretty happy people normally, but I can tell they're both sick of the cold, gray weather and driving in mounds of snow. One's moving here, one's moving to Florida next fall.

I hated all but about 8 weeks of the year in New England and spent most of my life asking, "Why do we still live here?" The year we left (2003), it actually snowed in 8 months of the year! Our first snow was in October and our last storm, which dropped about a foot, fell on May 3rd! I'm so thankful I'm here year-round, but ESPECIALLY in the winter! I wish I could tell them it'll all be okay when next Christmas they're eating outdoors staring at Palm trees.

Every day I see another beautiful, amazing site here and wonder how many thousands of people drive by the same thing and are blind to it...a gorgeous sunset, pink and purple clouds, a rainbow that touches the ground, sun rays blazing from a hole in a cloud, the blue water of the Salt River contrasting the green and gray desert on either bank, the purple hues of the Superstition Mountains, the view of Phoenix lights from the McDowell mountains, a cotton field in full bloom (kinda looks like snow, right?)...I could go on and on...

I guess my message for today is to take the time to look around and enjoy the beauty all around.

No comments: