Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Day 24: Go Bare-Faced

     Okay, this challenge is not fair. If you're a guy, nothing changes. If you're a woman, you look often dramatically different bare-faced, or people hound you all day asking, "What's wrong?" or stating how tired you look. It would've been easier if makeup had never been invented. Okay, maybe not.

     Today I had to host our ladies' small group study at church. I didn't wear makeup. Truthfully, I have almost non-existent eye lashes so I was hoping last night's mascara was still there. I didn't do my usual eye shadow, dark pinkish/beige lipstick, no new mascara, just me. I wondered how well it would go over. I'm blessed with a small group of women who could care less how each other looks and we're more concerned about how we're all doing - the important stuff - how are we growing? how's the latest problem going? do we need help with anything? etc.

     I didn't really feel any different a few minutes in, so I guess it was fairly simple, but what if I was a professional 20 something who usually lives under a thick mask of color and techniques to alter my looks? I think that could be very scary, especially for a self-conscious person, or someone who normally covers scars or birthmarks, or someone who can only get through her day if she believes she looks "normal" with all the extra makeup. But what if you're a guy...

     I think if a guy were doing this challenge, they could do something like go out without hair product in their hair, if they normally do. Maybe if they're usually clean-shaven, they could go out with the overnight stubble still there? Maybe it's something simple like sneakers instead of dress shoes with those fancy designer jeans? It's definitely something to think about to make it a fair challenge.

     I think the point though is that we should go through the day being ourselves, not hiding behind a mask. We should be open and honest about where we're at, or who we are, without trying to cover it up so we think we look like we think others expect us to look. We worry too much about what others think of us when in reality, they aren't thinking anything! They're too busy worrying about how they look to everyone else to worry about it.

     How about a fair challenge where you, as a person, regardless of gender, just take a day to be who you are without trying to be someone else?

No comments: