Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Living Simply: How we simplified Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving can be a great time for large gatherings, but lately I find most people I talk to have a quieter holiday than we all did in our childhood. Most of it is because of consumerism & materialism. Every year it's been getting harder and harder to find a day and time for our family meal. Some work in jobs over the road, some live far away, some work retail so no evening meal together since Black Friday sales now start around 4:00 on THANKSGIVING Thursday night! And others work in food service and they're required to work holidays too.


     A few years ago we changed our traditions from a big family gathering to a quiet, candle lit dinner with just a handful of us, whoever could be there. We didn't make plans to go visit distant relatives or drop by friends' houses. We decided in all the craziness of the holidays and especially Black Friday (the one day a year I never go out), we'd have an intimate dinner instead. Candles. Quiet conversation. Plated meal. Soft background music. Relaxation. Can't you just feel the peacefulness in it?

     This year, it's even harder. Our youngest has a 2nd job and a new boyfriend where she's spending the day, our middle son is now married and spending holidays at his new place 200 miles away, and my brother is working the day shift, my oldest son the night shift. It'll mostly be just me and Mom. Even my husband's schedule has him far from home that day over the road. How did we simplify this? It'll be more like an all day buffet, but peaceful. I'll sit and eat with Mom and if I'm lucky, my oldest son before he heads out. I'll keep things looking festive for when my brother gets home. We'll maybe play some board games, or watch a movie. I'll make just a few homemade things - maybe a side dish and a dessert or something. The rest, I'm buying. Yup, I'm not cooking for so few people. I'm simplifying our life. I ordered 2- meals for 2, so it'll feed the 4 of us that'll be home. It comes fully cooked and hot, with several side dishes and rolls. We'll have sparkling cider, egg nog, and cranberry juice. But I'm not wasting the precious time I do have with my family members rushing around and slaving over a stove. I'll spend it conversing with them. Intentionally.

     What can you do to simplify your Thanksgiving? Will you make one stop instead of two? Buy the dessert to save time? Make it a quiet meal instead of a loud free for all? Or will you make it fun with just easy heat up appetizers and finger foods so everyone can watch the football game together? Whatever you decide, play by your household's rules. Simplify your life. Enjoy those around you.

No comments: