Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Living Simply: Gifts? What Makes You Happy?

The common question I hear over and over in December is, "What do you want for Christmas?" And to be fair, I'm asking my adult kids and a few others the same thing. I don't want people to waste money on things I don't want nor need - and I don't want to get people stuff that's going to sit in a closet for the same reason. What do we do? How about asking a second question to help answer the first:

What Makes You Happy? (or what are you into?)


If I answer this question, then it's easier to figure out what I could use. Asking others this question makes shopping easier for me. Here's my list from this question:

1.  I love to go out to eat or to a movie with my spouse, so a gift card for a movie or inexpensive restaurant would be great.

2.  I love books. People who know me either know the authors/types of books I like, or else they know where I like to shop for them. Gift certificates for either place or an actual book would be greatly appreciated.

3.  I enjoy anything live, whether it's a play or a concert - so tickets are wonderful.

4.  I like to cook so a cookbook that's unique to something I like is another winner (like one for making even better Greek food, or sugar-free, gluten-free desserts).

5.  I'm in college these days, so either a walmart gift card or a basket of supplies makes an easy gift.

6.  People know I like a bottle of Moscato, Pinot Grigio, or even tequila - that's an easy gift.

What I'm not into - jewelry, clothes, shoes, knick knacks, bath stuff (who has time for a bath), scented candles (I buy them on rare occasions like holiday scents, but 2 is plenty). I don't want people wasting money on that kind of stuff. If you can let others know what your into - and especially what you're NOT into - it can save money and space for everyone. 

No comments: