Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Day 30: Evaluate your last 5 purchases

   

     I like this challenge because it makes us think. It also asks the question AFTER the behavior so your answers can be more honest. So, let's think about and evaluate our last 5 purchases. What were they? By the way, I don't consider food/restaurant/seeing a movie a purchase - I believe the intent here is about material possessions. I thought the photo expressed what advertisers want us to think..."beautiful things, so little time"

     Maybe you purchased clothes. Did you need them? Or did you just want them? There's a difference. If you only own a week's worth of clothes and something gets torn, stained, damaged, or doesn't fit, then you probably needed it. If it's just one of hundreds of pieces of clothing, your closets are already full, and you've filled many dresser drawers with clothes, you only wanted it.

     Maybe you bought books. I love books. I love reading. Did you try to buy the book second-hand? Maybe a used copy on Amazon.com or something? Did you see if the library had it? Or did you just buy it. Maybe it was a new book that just came out and that was your only option, or you needed to save time searching for a used one, so you bought new. It happens. But what will you do with it after you read it? Will you donate it? Pass it on to a friend or relative that's interested in it? Or will it clutter the shelves with hundreds of others you've already (or worse, will never get to) and although the collection looks impressive, you wouldn't want to have to move it again?

     Did you buy decor for your house/office/place of business? This one is tricky. If it was an intentional purchase that fit and brought you value for more than just the quick 5 minute high you got purchasing it and placing it somewhere, then you did it with purpose. If you saw it, and on a whim decided to buy it, after all it was "on sale", and you've walked by it every day since you brought it home without a glance or even a second thought, it's just one more thing cluttering up your home/space.

     What about if it was some doodad, some little thing without meaning or reason? You saw it and again, on a whim decided since it was "on sale" you "had to have it". Again, this was probably a want and not a need.

     So what about MY last 5 purchases? Let's take a look:

1.  I bought dishes for my brother. He's coming to live with us in about 6 weeks and has food allergies. I didn't want him eating off ours and getting sick. I bought them new so they're clean, and although they're nice, they aren't expensive. I bought a small service for 4, not some massive set.

2.  I bought a set of 4 glasses for my brother. Same as above.

3.  I bought a small set of silverware for 4 for my brother. Same as above.

4.  I bought a pair of denim shorts. This was a trade off for the ones I'm throwing away. I've had the old ones for over 5 years, they're at least a size or two too big, they barely stay on. The edges are ripping. It's time for a replacement. I bought them new but at a discount store (Ross? I think).

5.  I bought a movie, the original Music Man from the 1960s. The whole family loves that movie, my daughter wanted it for her birthday and didn't get it from the person she mentioned it to, so she's actually keeping it as a late birthday gift. It won't be adding to my stuff. Was this a need instead of a want, probably, however, last night I sat down with my daughter and 23 year old son to watch it together. I can't remember the last time I got multiple family members to sit together to watch a movie together, especially HIM. Maybe I spent $12 on it, but it gave us a family experience that I may not have again at their ages. It was great to share laughs and jokes while watching it. To me, that was worth it for the cost of one movie ticket. I feel I paid for the rare experience, not the movie itself, and again, it won't be added to my collection.

     What will my next few purchases be? Intentional. They'll probably be clothes since I'm down to just 30 items in my closet, and I have no casual dress, no skirts, and my one formal dress it too long and outdated. When will I buy them? Not now just because I realize I don't have them. I'll wait until I feel I need them, then I'll shop discount stores for them. If I was a guy I suppose jeans and shirts could be bought on ebay or something, but if I can't try it on, I'm not buying it. No online clothes shopping for me. It didn't work out 3 out of 3 times.

     So what were your last 5 purchases, and how do you feel about them today?

By the way, the challenge isn't over. Tomorrow I'll do a Rearview Mirror of the last month, and tell you what I'll be doing for a daily challenge/focus/living simply thing in August...so stay tuned.

No comments: