Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Day 3

     I think after the first week, I'll probably only post when something new comes up, or once a week, whichever comes first.

     Day 2's supper, Egg Roll in a Bowl, was GREAT! I wanted to share with Jordan (and Logan, as it turned out), so instead of ground beef, chicken or turkey, I used MorningStar Farms (soy) meatless Crumbles. I know, there's a lot of talk about soy and GMOs these days, but Jordan is allergic to ALL meats, broths, fish, seafood, and she has to eat something besides a ton of dairy and beans for her protein. Anyway, I used crumbles. Instead of shredding cabbage, the cookbook recommended having a bag of cole slaw mix instead, which would include some shredded carrot too. It was so easy! What I made fed 3 of us easily, and could've stretched for 4 over rice or stir fried vegetables. Everyone thought it was great. I'll definitely be making that again.

     The evening snack was a white cake with vanilla frosting, but my frosting is clumpy, almost like it's separated. I have to figure out if it's just that I don't whip it enough, or something else. It's basically lowfat cream cheese, butter, sweetener, and vanilla - it tastes great but looks "wrong". I'll have to figure that out - I bet I can find a video on THM's website that shows how so I can see what I'm missing, but again, it still tastes good.

     Day 3, today, I had eggs with cheese and turkey bacon. I made another Trimmer (all day sipper drink), but left out the cayenne, since it's on my list of foods I have sensitivities to. I wanted to use chili powder but I'm all out until this weekend, so I just left it out. Understanding the plan, I can make a similar drink with coffee, sweetener, almond milk, and vanilla - or use herbal tea instead of black tea (on my Alcat once or twice a week list). The cookbook has other recipes too, and the video on THM's site says to experiment with different teas, extracts, add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor, etc. There are no rules, just avoid combining high carbs with high fats. That's it.

     Lunch could be as simple as a can of Progresso Light soup, but instead, I cooked a small, thin, leftover turkey cutlet (maybe 3 oz), then put it over a salad with lettuce, tomato, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and heaping tablespoon of lowfat cottage cheese - no dressing needed with the moisture from the other ingredients. It was so tasty, really easy, and even very inexpensive since berries are in season here.

     Supper will be a bit early and then I'll probably make an evening snack, rather than an afternoon snack and a late, heavier supper. I plan on having rotisserie chicken, with broccoli and maybe a salad if I feel like it. If I want it to be an E meal (carbs but low in fats), I can keep it just like it is. If I want to turn it into an S meal (fats but low carbs), I can eat the same thing, but add butter or cheese sauce to the broccoli, or have peas in a parmesan sauce, and have creamy dressing on my salad. I'll decide at mealtime. That's the beauty of this - at any meal or snack, I get to choose which way to go. There's no set order to have them, just make them one way or the other. Occasionally they have what they call a Fuel Pull, which seems to incluce both fats and carbs, just low amounts of each around a good protein. I plan on reading more into those.

     I'm looking forward to dessert. I'm planning on a single serve sized Pineapple Upside Down cake. I can't wait. This is really a much more enjoyable way to eat than any other program I've tried - no drinking shakes twice a day, no expensive prepackaged box meals on auto-ship, no totally gluten-free rules, no Atkins style carb restrictions (I love my fruit!).  If you're considering it, just do it. You'll enjoy the food freedom it brings.

No comments: