Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Days 4 & 5

     Day 4 was great again. Breakfast was a chocolate waffle with strawberries. The recipe made more than I could eat, so I gave some to my daughter. She said, "well, it does taste healthy, but it's still good." She's super picky these days (as an adult) so coming from her, that's pretty good. Breakfast was late so I had no morning snack. Lunch was some rotisserie chicken left over from the night before, with lettuce, mayo (which I spiced up with horseradish and spices) in a low carb tortilla. I liked that it was quick and easy. I've got the time to make the recipes in the cookbook, most take only 5 minutes to put together, but sometimes I just don't feel like it. Anyway, my afternoon snack was a frosted cinnamon muffin - tasty, and done in under 5 minutes. I substituted vanilla extract for the lemon juice in the frosting and now it was smooth instead of clumpy and looking all separated. Supper was a quick White Chili.  It was just stuff I keep on hand anyway - 2 cans of white beans, a can of rotel (tomatoes with chilis), a can of diced tomatoes, I chose to add 2 jalapenos w/o the seeds, and the last of the rotisserie chicken. That's it. Once it was heated through, it was done, quick, easy, and tasty. 

     I notice that this is the first time I've been on an eating plan that I'm not hungry. I mean not even a little bit. Sometimes I spend a good 10 minutes deciding on a snack because I'm not really hungry, but know not to let my blood sugar drop, then spike later. In fact, I've felt so satisfied that I started to wonder about portion sizes. There's no rules, and most of the recipes say "single serve", but still...

     Day 5 was another easy day. I started with a microwaved blueberry muffin that's done start to finish in 5 minutes. Lunch was roast beef, turkey bacon, lettuce, mayo (a very thin layer, literally only about 1/2 Tbs., a drop of horseradish, on 2 slices of Ezekiel naturally sprouted bread. It was just a sandwich, no cheese though since this was an E meal (energizing/carbs but low fat), but I stayed full all afternoon.

     It's time for my afternoon snack and I'm truly not hungry, so I reached for a small Fuel Pull (FP) recipe - one with so little carbs and fats centered on a protein that it doesn't affect your body like an E or S meal would. I found a quick chocolate shake in the cookbook. I'm not a fan of chocolate - I don't like chocolate cake, most candy bars, chocolate ice cream, I barely like Boston Cream donuts, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies - but I gave it a try. Let me start by saying, this is HEALTHY - It has in it frozen okra! and protein whey powder, and plain gelatin, and date palm oil, but it also has vanilla, unsweetened cocoa powder, and Stevia. Expecting to have an awfully healthy taste, I was shocked it was so good! I'm not an okra fan to start with - but this is thick, creamy, tastes like chocolate ice cream with maybe a scoop of malt in it, or mixed with a little chocolate frozen yogurt. But it doesn't taste thin and artificial - it tastes really rich and good. You have to try it if you decide on the THM plan!

     Supper tonight will be an E meal. I have some turkey cutlets to use up and 3 or 4 mouths to feed, so I'm making a (turkey) chicken alfredo over noodles. The only difference is when everyone else has regular pasta, which around here are usually quinoa noodles anyway, I'll have noodles made from the konjac root. They have no calories, no carbs, no fats, but lots of fiber. They're Japanese noodles that have been around for years in Asia, but not here. Usually they're packaged in briny fish-smelling liquid, like we package hot dogs, but THM sells them packaged in a much cleaner, non-fishy smelling water. I tried them in a homemade Ramen type of dish before starting the plan and I loved them. They're chewy like al dente pasta should be, not gummy like American pasta. 

     I can't imagine NOT eating on a plan like this long term. It's healthy, tastes good, easy, quick, makes sense, heals things along the way, and I'll also drop either weight, inches, or both?!  I would recommend it to everyone!

No comments: