Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Day 20: No TV today

     I'm not generally a TV person. I record a few things and watch them when I choose. Here's about all I watch:

1. Baseball - Dbacks, Red Sox, Cubs
2. Baseball related - Dbacks "The 10th Inning" show, interviews players, also documentaries on the
     Red Sox, like the one MLB had last week about the 1967 team that turned everything around and
     Red Sox Nation was "born", lots of input by Yaz.
3.  Dr. Who - new episodes, because I've seen the rest, but it's done until the Christmas special
4.  Superstore - in between seasons right now but one of the funniest shows I've found in a long time,
     it takes a lot to get me to laugh out loud but I do at least once during every episode.
5.  Movies to watch later, like Night at the Museum, Bolt, etc. Rarely do I record movies.

That's about it. I will watch the Cardinals & Patriots when football season starts, but that's only once a week, not almost every day like baseball.

     Yesterday I didn't watch TV at all. By the time baseball was on, I was out of the house for the night - watching the Cubs new prospects/rookies play in the Arizona Rookie League at the Cubs park here in AZ. They played the prospects/rookies from the Kansas City Royals.

     Yesterday was just one of many days I went without TV. I don't have a TV in multiple rooms like most people. I refuse to have one in the bedroom. We have our one living room TV, and the kids all have one of their own that they bought themselves in their rooms. They don't even watch TV with them, they use them for playing video games occasionally, and once in a great while, Netflix or my son will watch a movie through his Xbox. The only one in our family that watches a lot of TV is my husband, but he's only home about 4 or 5 days a month, and he watches superhero related shows he's missed while on the road for three weeks at a time - very understandable.

     So today I will probably keep the TV off, as usual, recording today's morning baseball game to watch later before bed. I don't feel bad watching TV today since it'll be over a day and a half since turning it on, then it'll be off again for another 24 hours or more after the game.

     I don't understand the draw to sitting in front of the TV from say 6 o'clock when people get home from work, until 11 or so when they go to bed. I'm not judging those that do, they have their reasons, I'm just saying that I don't understand the appeal. That's 25 hours in 5 days, and when they have that habit, their day(s) off look pretty much like couch surfing too. What could people do with an extra 30 - 40 a week? Maybe do something to improve their health like going for walks? Maybe create better relationships with their family through dinner around a table together and conversations? Maybe make an actual phone call to a loved one far away? or to an aging parent/grandparent who's probably very lonely? There's such better things to do with time - the most precious gift we have - and one that could be taken away at any moment without warning.

     What will you do with your time this next week?

No comments: