Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Minimalism Challenge Day 17: Try SINGLE Tasking today

     I'm a multitasker. Not sure if it's natural or a learned behavior out of necessity, but I am a multitasker. If I'm watching tv, which is rare outside of baseball season anyway, I'm also either answering messages on my phone or doing a sudoku puzzle as well. If I'm on my computer doing something, I've usually got a podcast playing in the background. If I'm teaching a class, I'm thinking about the material, the other related material I read wondering if it's relevant to share it, and planning for the next session. If I'm grocery shopping, I'm also calculating my grand total, comparing what I'm buying to what foods I have issues with (according to my Alcat test results), what meals they'll make, and will those meals still be "on plan" for my way of eating. I rarely single task. In fact, if I try to single task, like reading, or just watching tv, I will usually fall asleep.

     Today's challenge made me really stop, think, and focus on what I was doing all day. During the study I facilitate on Mondays, I was extra careful to focus on what everyone was saying. I always do anyway, but today I did it with a clear purposeful decision to not allow stray thoughts as I listened. I wasn't worried about the next question, or notes I want to share on the next page, or calculating how much time we have left compared to how many more pages we should get through. Results? I once again realize how deeply I cherish each woman in that group, and how much more I want to pray for them throughout the week.

     When I was with my daughter dropping of something at her college, I was in the moment with her. I was listening to what she was saying, ready to help with anything I could, and find some way to encourage and validate her and her emotions. We didn't argue over differences of opinion like we sometimes do.

     I took my son and his fiancee to lunch for great Greek food at a place I found near the house. During that time, we didn't talk much about the upcoming wedding, his next trip (he leaves tonight), or anything else. We just focused on enjoying a fantastic meal together.

     I'm supposed to go shopping later, my least favorite thing. Nothing fun, just a trip to WalMart so it can be one stop shopping. I plan on bringing a list and sticking to only what's on it. Deciding ahead of time I need nothing that isn't on that list will make the trip single focused, no stressing over, "Should I buy it or not?"

     Maybe it's time I learn that I don't have to multitask. I may get more done, but if no one thing is done well, why bother? Most things can wait a bit anyway, then there's less down time and boredom in between spurts of crazy busyness.

   If you decided to slow down and single task, what could you do or enjoy better?

No comments: