Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Living Simply challenge Day 16: Music

     You're driving down the road and a song comes on that triggers a head full of memories. It may be memories of having fun with friends back in high school. It may be memories of someone special in your life. It could remind you of someplace you were when you heard it for the first time and how much it affected you in that moment. Music is part of our lives, memories, movies, shopping experiences, and more. It's a gift. So what does the gift of music have to do with simple living?

     Every day we have choices to make. They seem small but may really be bigger than we think. What if you listened to the right music to start your day right? It may be classical that helps you start the day feeling invigorated, country to stir your emotions, folk music to get your thoughts going, jazz to just ease into the day at a more relaxed pace, maybe it's hip hop or pop dance music to help you wake up, for some, it's rock music that gets them moving at a faster pace...what type of music is up to you, but let it inspire you however you need it to speak to you. Make a choice what to listen to instead of randomly allowing the noise around you be just noise.

     When you go to work or school, do you choose silence or audio books or music? Whichever you choose, it is your choice, but if you choose music, again, let it be what sets the tone for your day. Let that song stuck in your head be a good one.

     Bring music into your world in new ways. Maybe the next time you're in a store and hear something unique, ask the person working there what it is and download it if it got your attention. I remember doing that with a friend and my kids years ago. We were showing a friend around a touristy area and in one shop we heard very unique music that spoke to us, it was so peaceful and calming, like nothing we currently listened to. When we asked about it, we found out it was R. Carlos Nikai, a Native American who plays a wooden flute. It stirred something in both of us the second we heard it. I purchased his Canyon Trilogy CD (which you can find online or watch on YouTube) and I've loved it ever since. I still listen to those songs at times when I have trouble relaxing. Explore music in unexpected ways.

     Reggae music, I grew up listening to Bob Marley and the Wailers, then after high school I began listening to a local college radio station that played reggae artists like Peter Tosh. I don't know what it is about reggae music but if it's on, even in a grocery store, I can NOT stand still. Within a few minutes of listening to it, even subconsciously, I begin swaying to it. It connects to something deep inside that I don't get from my usual classic rock or 80s metal stations.

     Nowadays I have the same "I have to move" feeling with some of the Latino songs. Songs like Vivir Mi Vida and Dimelo by Marc Anthony. I don't know if it's some salsa rhythm or what but they make me feel the emotion of the song and I feel happy, like dancing. I don't get that in other genres.

     I'm not sure why but I also am drawn to popular songs with foreign lyrics. Even if the song isn't that good, I'm drawn to it. It could be the German version of 99 Red Balloons (99 Luftballoons), Riu Riu Chiu by the Monkees, Seul la Rhune sung half in English, half in Celtic, La Bamba or the Macarena sung in Spanish, it really doesn't matter. I tend to like it for some strange reason.

     Incorporating more music into your life can help broaden your horizons, explore your personality and get to know who you are more deeply. It can even be an intentional way of directing your emotions throughout the day - giving you what you need when you need it. Take some time to try different genres, you may be surprised to find out you like something as bizarre as pirate metal (yes, I went through that phase with Alestorm) and Celtic metal (like I did with Skiltron). Have fun with it. You only get to live this life one time. Make intentional choices to make the most of it and learn to live a happy, more simple life.

No comments: