Living Simply

This blog has developed into a blog about living a more simple life, as well as minimalism. Hopefully it will give you ideas how to simplify your life and get the most out of it.

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Added Value Day 2: Book recommendations

   


     Are you looking for some help in figuring out all this minimalism and living a simple life? Here's a few books I recommend, and why:

1. Everything that Remains by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

I love this book because of the way it's written. The authors take you through their journeys (which were very different) that brought them to minimalism. As you read through the tragedies in Joshua's life, he writes with such emotion that it pulls you in, you feel what he's going through. When you read how Ryan got started, you realize that you are affecting those around you in a positive way as you grow and change. It's a quick read, great for a weekend.

2.  Minimalism: A Minimalist's Guide to Eliminate Clutter, Clear the Mind, and Increase Productivity by Paul Silverman

This is an ebook that I got on Amazon (free at the time as were most of these recommendations of ebooks). I liked this because I read it in about an hour or two amid distractions. It helped with practical decluttering tips, but also how that brings about the peace of mind I was seeking. The productivity part is about how you don't waste time on the unimportant so you free up time to pursue your passions.

3.  Capsule Wardrobe: 10 simple & easy steps to declutter your life of endless shopping and find the personal style everyday with a minimalist wardrobe by Hannah Hannigan

Although this ebook title is a mouthful, the book is nowhere near as long-winded. It gives step by step advice on how to pare down your wardrobe to mix and match essentials and accessories to you can own far less items, yet continue to have many options of outfits by simply mixing and matching things that already go together. It will save you so much time in the morning because you don't have to worry about what looks good together, you don't have anything in your closet that doesn't fit or look good on you, and you won't waste time getting changed over and over. Great time-saver tips.

4.  Discover Minimalism: A Minimalist Budget: Finding Freedom Through Saving Money and Spending Less by Adrian Pepperdine

I breezed through this book rather quickly because it was all straight to the point, good advice, and they're ideas that work, no matter where you're starting from. Part of living a more simple life will involve not carrying lots of anxiety producing debt. Again it's an ebook that you can read in an hour or so.

5.  Clutterfree with Kids by Joshua Becker

This is one of Joshua's 3 books advertised on his website. Although I haven't read all of them yet, I know this one is a great one for people wondering if minimalism is possible when you have kids. Joshua also has great essays and articles on this subject, and the book will help you realize that yes, you can live a minimalist, more simple lifestyle even if you have kids. He doesn't live in a tiny home, he doesn't make his family only own a certain number of possessions, but he does explain how to allow everyone in your family to be who they are and still create a happier, more simple life through minimalism principles.

     I hope these books will be helpful for you. You may also find other FREE ebooks available on Kindle or Amazon on these topics. I go in and check every month or so for new ones, download them to my tablet, and they I can carry multiple books with me when I'm headed somewhere I know I'll either have down time or need to stay busy while I'm in a waiting room.

     I hope these add value to you as they have to me and many, many others. Enjoy your long weekend if you're in the U.S.

No comments: